Saturday, June 22, 2013

London: Part I Days 1-3

Hello everyone!

As you may or may not know, I will be spending the next 4 (now 3) weeks exploring Europe!  I am on a UCLA Travel Study program where I get to visit London, Brussels, The Hague (Amsterdam), and Paris!  So, here's what's gone down so far...

Day 1:
Monday, June 17
My mom and my sister dropped me off at SFO in the early evening and I departed on my 11+ hour flight to London!  The plane ride was long and uncomfortable, but that was to be expected.

Tuesday, June 18
I landed at Heathrow Airport at around 2PM London time.  After going through customs, I got my bags and took the underground to my hotel.  I took the Picadilly line all the way from Heathrow to Holborn. If you've never experienced the Tube, it's really something.  It puts all American subway systems to shame.

After getting to the hotel, I had an orientation session with other students in my program.  Then off to bed to catch up on sleep and adjust to the time difference!

Day 2:
Wednesday, June 19
Our first official day of class!  Class starts at 10AM every day, so we eat breakfast at the hotel right before class each day.  I've learned that the British don't drink cold milk with their cereal and that their toasters aren't timed, you just check your bread until it turns into toast.  They're very interesting people. Class ends at around 12:30 so I had a quick lunch and then off we went!

Our first stop was Trafalgar Square.  It houses the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery.




The National Gallery had some great paintings, such as some pieces by Van Gogh, Monet, Rembrandt, Degas and many other famous artists.  Any of them familiar?





The National Portrait Gallery is right next door.  The most recent edition is the new Royal Portrait of Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge:


After the museums, we went on a walk through Picadilly Circus and cut through Chinatown.  London Chinatown is very different from San Francisco's, but nonetheless still lovely.
(stole this from Allyson Bach!)

Then walked through the lovely Green Park on our way to Buckingham Palace!  Crossed the street and ran into this recognizable road:


I think I may have seen it before somewhere....


Oh yeah, just the royal wedding that's all.

Then we finally arrived at Buckingham Palace!


Unfortunately the Queen was not in.  Guess she had more important business to attend to.  It didn't stop us from having a photoshoot in front of the gates though. 




It is definitely very grand, and fit for a Queen.  Then we dragged ourselves back to the hotel and got some dinner and some sleep!


More to come soon...if I ever catch up








No comments:

Post a Comment